Best with Beetroot Salsa
Love Beets Mexican-Style Avocado and Beetroot Salsa on Cornbread
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Line a 22 cm square tin with baking paper.
- Add the polenta, flour and baking powder to a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, yogurt, milk and cheese. Whisk the liquid into the dry ingredients until combined. Then pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Combine the lime, sour cream and jalapenos in a bowl, season to taste and chill until ready to use.
- Cut four x 1cm thick slices of the cooled cornbread. (This recipe makes about 16 slices and the rest can be frozen).
- Brush the four slices with oil. Griddle in a pan set over a medium-high heat until lightly charred and set aside to keep warm while you cook the rest.
- Thinly slice the avocado and arrange over two plates. Thinly slice the chilli and shallot.
- When you are ready to serve divide the cornbread slices between the two plates and spread with the sour cream. Top with the Beetroot Salsa and garnish with the chilli, shallot, parsley and coriander before serving.
What you’ll Need
For the cornbread
- 175g fine polenta
- 175g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 300ml milk
- 75g plain yogurt
- 175g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the sour cream topping
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- juice of ¼ a lime
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapenos
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 100g Love Beets Beetroot Salsa
- 1 red chilli
- 1 shallot
- handful chopped parsley
- handful chopped coriander