Best with Cooked Beets
Our Ultimate Beet & Chocolate Cake
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease and line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Chop the beets into quarters and puree in a food processor.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put to one side. Some larger pieces will give the cake a great texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the broken chocolate, to the processor and blend until well-mixed. Pour into the prepared cake tin and lightly level out the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. The surface of the cake may have cracked a little. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve in wedges. This cake is great with a little creme fraiche on the side!
What you’ll Need
250g cooked beets
200g quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
200g plain flour
200g unsalted butter, melted
100g dark brown sugar
100g caster sugar
3 large eggs
2tbsp cocoa powder
2tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar for dusting