Spiced Beet & Apple Muffins with Hazelnut Topping
What to do
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin liners. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sugar and milk. Pour into the flour and mix very lightly — don’t worry if it looks lumpy!
- Gently fold through the grated beets and apple and spoon into the muffin liners.
- To make the topping, stir the mixed spice through the flour, then add the butter, sugar and nuts.
- Rub between your fingers and thumbs until crumbly and well-mixed. Sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and springy to touch.
What you’ll Need
275g self-raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 heaped tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
125g unsalted butter, melted
60g caster sugar
250g cooked beets, grated coarsely*
2 (small to medium) Pink Lady apples, cored and grated coarsely*
*Make sure you grate the beets and apples coarsely, not finely. If grated finely they will release too much liquid and affect the consistency and cooking time of the muffin mix.