Beet Soup with Goat Cheese Croutons
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a large saucepan, stir the onion gently in the olive oil until it softens. This will take around 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn the onions as you do not want to caramelize them.
- While the onions are cooking, start the croutons. Brush the bread slice with olive oil on both sides and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until they are crisp and dry.
- When the onions are soft, add the crushed garlic to the pan and gently fry for another minute. Then add the beets, stock and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Using a liquidizer or stick blender, blend the soup until smooth. Keep warm while you finish the croutons.
- Rub the garlic clove over one side of the now dried bread slices and top each slice with a round of goat cheese. Sprinkle the sliced sage leaves on the top and then drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Put back in the oven for a few minutes until cheese has begun to melt.
- Pour the soup into bowls and float a crouton on top of each. Serve immediately.
What you’ll Need
For the soup:
500g Cooked Beets, cut into chunks
1 large onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
750ml vegetable stock
For the croutons:
4 slices of baguette
olive oil for brushing
1 peel garlic clove, cut in half
1 small goat cheese round, cut into circular chunks
4 sage leaves, finely sliced