Best with Cooked Beets
Love Beets Smorrebrod Platter with Beetroot Three Ways
What to do
- Add the fennel to a frying pan, set over a low-medium heat and toast, until fragrant.
- For the pickle, add the rice vinegar, sugar, a pinch of salt and warm fennel seeds to a bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the beetroot, stir to coat then set aside to pickle for 15 minutes.
- For the yogurt, roughly chop the beetroot into 1cm cubes. Add the Greek yogurt, horseradish and lemon juice to a bowl and stir to combine. Fold in the beetroot and season to taste.
- For the spread, add the beets to a high-speed blender or NutriBullet food and blitz until smooth then add the breadcrumbs, walnuts, thyme a pinch of salt and pulse until combined. Season to taste.
- Serve the beetroot three ways with slices of bread, smoked salmon, smoked peppered mackerel, caper berries and soft-boiled eggs.
What you’ll Need
For the quick beetroot pickle
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 60ml rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- handful dill fronds
- 2 Love Beets Cooked Beetroot, sliced into 0.5cm rounds
For the beetroot and horseradish yogurt
- 2 Love Beets Cooked Beetroot
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 20g horseradish sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the beet and walnut spread
- 180g Love Beets Cooked Beetroot
- 25g sourdough breadcrumbs
- 25g walnuts
- 5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
For the board
- sliced sourdough bread
- caper berries
- soft-boiled eggs, such as quail’s
- smoked salmon
smoked peppered mackerel, flaked