Warm Steak & Beet Sandwich with Honey Mustard Dressing
What to do
- Make the dressing by putting everything in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well until thoroughly mixed and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan until smoking hot. Season the steak on both sides with a little salt and freshly ground pepper black pepper. Lay steak in the pan and fry, undisturbed, on one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip over and fry on the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Cook a little less for rare or a little more for well done. Remove the steak and allow to rest on a warm plate covered in foil.
- Add the shallots to the frying pan and fry for a few minutes over medium-high heat until they begin to soften and caramelize. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Lay the ciabatta roll in the frying pan and toaste lightly for a minute or two.
- Slice the steak into wide strips across the grain and divide between 2 pieces of ciabatta. Top with the sliced beets and fried shallots. Drizzle over a little of the dressing and cover with the top of ciabatta.
What you’ll Need
For the honey mustard dressing:
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
1 small clove garlic, crushed
salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the sandwich:
A 1 inch thick ribeye steak (approx. 225g weight)
1 tbsp olive oil
A little sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
2-4 shallots, finely sliced (for a summer version, replace the shallots with a handful of peppery watercress leaves)
2-3 cooked beets, sliced **also fun to try with Sweetfire Beets
a ciabatta loaf, cut in half & sliced open