Creamy Pasta Bake with Beets & Smoked Ham
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and reserve.
- Set a heavy based saucepan over a low heat, sweet the onion in the butter for 10-15 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute before stirring through the flour.
- Pour in milk and cream and bring up to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Simmer steadily for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Turn out the heat, stir through half the cheese, the ham and the chives. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir through the cooked pasts and beets and spoon into a baking dish. Scatter over the rest of the cheese and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
What you’ll Need
375g pasta in whichever shape you prefer (i.e. fusilli, penne, etc.)
1 onion, finely chopped
50g unsalted butter
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp plain flour
150ml double cream (or use extra milk for a less rich option)
150g gruyere or mature cheddar, torn into shreds
Small bunch of chives, snipped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
500g Cooked Beets (2 packs), cut into cubes