Best with Cooked Beets
Love Beets Festive Beetroot Tart
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Scatter the almonds in an oven tray and roast for 8 minutes, until golden, and set aside to cool. Once cool tip into a food processor and blitz to fine crumbs.
- Add the flour, butter and a pinch of salt to the food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and blitz again adding 1 tbsp chilled water at a time until the mixture comes together. Shape into a ball, wrap in cling film and transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour and roll the pastry out 0.5cm thickness. Carefully transfer the pastry to a 21cm x 5cm deep loose-bottomed round tin. If the pastry breaks in places, make sure to thoroughly patch any cracked areas with leftover pastry. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Prick the base all over with a fork then line the pastry case with baking parchment and baking beans and bake for 25 minutes. Remove paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes, until the pastry is golden and firm.
- Blanch the broccoli in a pan of salted boiling water for 1 minute then refresh under ice-cold water.
- Whisk the eggs then beat in the cream, thyme and cheese.
- Carefully pour the cream mixture into the tart case and arrange the broccoli and beetroot over the top. Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden and set. Cool for 20 minutes in the tin before carefully releasing from the tin.
- Serve alongside the limited-edition Love Beets Festive Beetroot Relish.
What you’ll Need
For the pastry
- 75g blanched almonds
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 130g chilled butter, cubed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3-4 tbsp ice cold water
For the filling
- 100g Tenderstem broccoli
- 5 eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 10 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 125g smoked cheddar, grated
- 3 Love Beets Cooked Beetroot, quartered
- Love Beets Festive Beetroot Relish